Project: Onesta (formerly Lift Me Up)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://problemattic.app/project-details/onesta

After Saturday I spent a bit of time making the start of an phone app with Flutter (to get iOS and Android easily)

I followed this tutorial mostly [1] and the code is available here [2]

Here is what I got so far

[1] 🔒📱 Modern Login UI • Flutter Auth Tutorial ♡ - YouTube
[2] LiftMeUp/login_page.dart at main · mtourne/LiftMeUp · GitHub

Nice! Yea let’s see who we have for available devs as we get closer to this weekend and make a call on which platform to go with based on all the variables. I’ve not used FlutterFlow personally but I hear good things and the ProNocoders devs who are donating their time for the Buildathon are well-versed in it so that’s a possibility for sure. They’re also big on Dittofy and Bubble with Xano as an option for backend. Let’s see how things shake out with dev signups by Thurs before we commit to a platform.

That’s amazing thank you!
I also created a small Figma prototype - a lot is still missing but maybe we can use it to get a better idea since our last prototype at the event was not really refined yet.
Here’s the link to the file: https://www.figma.com/proto/CfLtAA7mJzUDMPEdC0G48y/Lift-Me-Up-(Copy)?page-id=0%3A1&node-id=208-50&viewport=402%2C570%2C0.28&scaling=min-zoom&starting-point-node-id=9%3A2&show-proto-sidebar=1

@Lilian this prototype is :100: This should be doable in a day.

I wasn’t on your guys’ team but here is what I would propose given all the variables: I know we haven’t committed to a tech stack yet and @Matti was tinkering with Flutter. I have Cameron from ProNocoders available for you guys on Saturday. He is a highly-skilled Bubble dev who I know personally and would be a great resource to help build the MVP here if we’re all okay doing it in Bubble. I, as well, am a semi-competent Bubble dev so that would give us the ability for me to be in the room with you guys stubbing out the MVP in Bubble thinking through key decisions.

About the time you guys have to leave (I believe 3pm?) Cameron should be coming online and will be able to take the handoff of what we started. This is just the MVP and we’re not permanently-committed to Bubble but going with this for now should allow us to make best use of the dev resources we have for Saturday. We can always take what we build and later port it to whatever tech stack we want but this will allow us to at least get a functional MVP deployed by the end of this weekend which is the next goal.

I’m meeting with @HannahL tomorrow afternoon and hopefully again Thurs evening to get as far as we can with user stories and prep for Saturday. I will know more then who we’ll have in the room and therefore what dev capabilities we have at that point.

If you guys are good with that plan I believe that will yield the best chances for success Saturday. Matti is going to be out of town as I understand it so absent having someone else to perform the CTO role I think this is our best bet for Saturday’s event. lmk

hey all just a quick update on where things stand on the dev front:
First, Cameron (Bubble Jedi) built out everything you see in the “Completed: ready for testing” col of Trello on Saturday:

The snag we hit was on the scheduling plugin (we chose a cheap one and got what we paid for). I posted Cam’s assessment here in Discord. I haven’t TBH had time to dig in and wrap my head around the data model and issues here so I’m going purely off of his comments until I get a chance to dig in.

Availability/Bookings is central to what we’re building so you could argue it’s worth building it from scratch and controlling the experience vs. having to adopt the plugin’s data model and being bound to that. But it’s also def reinventing the wheel to build this stuff from scratch that’s already been figured out and solved elegantly by a plugin so personally I’m inclined to just buy one of the more expensive ones. This is the one we bought for $60 USD. We started with a budget of €310 from what was raised from offers and 60 + 25 (bubble personal plan 1mo) = $85 is what’s been spent thus far so we basically have $342 - 85 = $257 (or €221)currently left to work with for now. And you can always verify the current holdings of the LMU entity by going to its member page and checking the holdings on the right.

The cool thing is this is all a mini exercise in entrepreneurship so consider as one immediate potential source would be to go back to John from the event because his offer was rejected so he still has undeployed capital.

how to see someone’s holdings in the member dir - Watch Video

You can propose trades to any of the investors who still have undeployed EUR. Given that there’s been some minor amount of progress from the event you might propose a slightly higher valuation (remember the idea was valued at €10k given Domingos’ investment). Realistically we haven’t made much progress since then but the idea with a startup is to raise as little capital as possible to get you to the next “rock ledge” where you can then command a higher valuation and raise new capital on more favorable terms. A good source if you want to come up to speed on this stuff is Venture Hacks. I pinned a Gdoc in Discord #everywhere called “The Problemattic Way” with a bunch of really useful links and info in it.

So here are the contenders we should investigate to handle the bookings/appointments aspect IMO:
ScheduleMe - Calendly Clone Template | Bubble ← looks clean and promising
https://appointmentbooking.bubbleapps.io/ ← from zeroqode (a reputable Bubble plugin creator) that also looks promising
How To Build A Google Calendar Clone With No Code - Bubble ← tutorial for building a free Google Cal clone from scratch in Bubble. If we go the build route might be useful.
Date, Time and Currency by Ritz7 - Plugins - Bubble Forum ← a free Date/Time/Currency toolkit from Ritz7 (partners with ProNocoders Tonya who works with us and recommended this if we build from scratch as a way to simplify dev)
Any thoughts?

@Lilian Here is a figma file where i started to play little bit with colors and fonts - i preselected a “lighter” font without any serif elements to keep and “modern” and young. The colors are fresh, a fresh start, a refreshing breath - something like that was in my mind.

I also created a new name - Onwind (german → Aufwind) Let me know what you think.

My personal favorite is that one:

Saw this article today which has a good summary of existing mental health apps out there:

Worth looking at to study the landscape of alternatives that exist to know where we fit in.

But also, a reminder we need to take the privacy aspect very seriously with whatever we build being GDPR-compliant. That idea of plugging into @DariusM’s API for offering insight into a person’s condition based on analyzing their voice and body movements- that needs to be really well thought through privacy-wise and require dual opt-in from both the user and talk buddy before enabling that feature.

Anyways, whoever is doing the market research, definitely give a look at the apps mentioned in this article. @Lilian @Dora @JuliaR @HannahL

This is a really good article worth reading on this topic-> https://stanforddaily.com/2019/03/13/a-toxic-culture-of-overwork-inside-the-graduate-student-mental-health-crisis/

From the suffering student side:

Ph.D. students described insufficient mental health services and a culture of overwork, further worsened by toxic advisor relationships and a learned reluctance to discuss mental health.

Sitting at a restaurant on University Avenue, the prospective candidate mentioned that she was in therapy. One by one, the current students at the table said that they were, too, but none of them had ever discussed it with each other.

“Unless it’s your really good friends, you don’t talk about it,” Sophie said. “It’s still stigmatized, and it’s still seen as a sign of weakness. It took someone to be honest … [and then] everyone else opened up.”

And from the therapist side:

According to Patel, rising Bay Area salaries are making it difficult for CAPS to hire and retain therapists. At the October town hall, Vaden director Jim Jacobs added that CAPS has open positions that it has not been able to fill, although he also implied that CAPS, as part of a larger “ecosystem” of mental health care that includes the psychiatry department at the School of Medicine and off-campus providers, is not the only destination for students seeking mental health care.

The shame, stigma, cost barriers (both from student and therapist sides)… all this supports the idea that something like a p2p talk buddy program could find its place. That’s an older article from 2019 but presumably that overwork issue hasn’t abated since then.

This one is also interesting for a different reason-> Schools, COVID and Mental Health
Talks about secondary schools and the rise of mental health issues during school shutdowns due to covid when everything went virtual. This raises the question if virtual calls (while better than nothing) are the endgame here or if we will at some point want to attempt to facilitate in-person talk buddy sessions. That introduces a whole other layer of potential security issues we’d have to mitigate but something to keep in mind.

This paragraph from a Paul Graham essay made me start reflecting about the Onesta project and the mental health issue in universities:

What a recipe for alienation. By the time they reach an age to think about what they’d like to do, most kids have been thoroughly misled about the idea of loving one’s work. School has trained them to regard work as an unpleasant duty. Having a job is said to be even more onerous than schoolwork. And yet all the adults claim to like what they do. You can’t blame kids for thinking “I am not like these people; I am not suited to this world.”

Just thinking through the problem more holistically as a mismatch of expectations with work and education and one’s role in the whole thing.

The essay is titled “How to do what you love” and worth reading in its entirety.

Not sure this prompts any substantive changes to the approach but something to keep in mind as a potential source of the discontent. If true part of the antidote to depression in schools could be about helping to dissolve that gap and helping students to implement the ideas of Paul’s essay.