Introductions: tell us about yourself

Introduce yourself to the community by responding to each of these questions:

• What is your name?
  • Where are you from and where do you live now?
  • What do you do professionally?
  • What types of causes do you value most?
  • What brings you here and what do you hope to get by being involved in this project?

Easiest way is to highlight each one of these questions then use the quote button to respond:

If you’re not logged in you need to create an account first. It takes 10sec. Go here and click the little person icon in the upper-right then come back to this page.
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 2.10.06 PM

I’ll start:

I’m originally from Phoenix, AZ, USA living in Lisbon, Portugal for the last 5yrs.

I have a winding career trajectory having served as a computer programmer, 3D animator, salesperson, entrepreneur, EMT and most recently as the instigator behind this movement :smiley:

I’m particularly drawn to causes around mental health, sustainability, education and wildlife preservation.

I hope to help bring together other socially-conscious knowledge workers and facilitate a decentralized movement that can put a dent in daunting societal challenges. Looking forward to meeting people in person on Saturday at our Lisbon hackathon event!

Where are you from and where do you live now?

I’m living in Estoril, Portugal for near a year now. I am from Michigan and most recently live in the Detroit area.

What do you do professionally?

I’m a software developer and currently in machine learning engineering. Previously, mobile development (iOS and hybrid).

What types of causes do you value most?

Biodiversity and environment. I’ve just begun my journey within these causes.

What brings you here and what do you hope to get by being involved in this project?

Meeting other like-minded people to keep motivated into taking small steps towards tackling giant problems. I’m also currently searching for jobs dedicated to social and environmental issues such as climate and preservation of nature. I found the project through signing up for the Saturday hackathon.

1 Like

@jasonprasad are you around on the 25th of June? We’re doing another hackathon event at Le Wagon in Lisbon. I just posted the details here.

Come join if you’re free. Also I added profile functionality to the site. If you could take a sec and fill yours out this is what we’re using to form teams now. cheers

1 Like
    I am from Portugal and live in Lisbon.

I am a content writer and producer. I write about geriatric health and write copy for social media about consumers’ rights and financial investments. I also recently created and host ExtensaMente, a Portuguese podcast about mental wellness and mental health.

My career has been a mix of communication and journalism and scientific research in behavioral science- human development, psychology, and neuroscience-

Mental health, animal welfare, wildlife conservation, social equity

• What brings you here and what do you hope to get by being involved in this project?
    Meeting like-minded and like concerned people about collective issues, and if suitable apply my skills to contribute to better conditions related to some of the big problems we face collectively.

1 Like
    I’m Jon, from the UK, now living outside Lisbon.

I work as a cognitive neuroscience researcher, considering a transition into data science.

Needless injustice/inequality and climate change.

I’ve been looking for a suitable volunteering opportunity for a while and would like to develop my data science skills by working on a few projects that serve overlooked but important causes.

Jon, welcome to the group and great to have you. Very cool on cognitive neuroscience and your interest in data science. I don’t know if you already know python/R but I’ve been playing with this open source tool and it’s been a neat way to wade into data analysis projects using a visual IDE as a non-programmer.

BTW there’s a project which is not yet loaded on the project page that we started at the last hackathon (you can read about it here) which might appeal to you given your cause affinities and skill set. The idea is to create an app that can allow you to challenge yourself and friends to become greener in your transportation habits. There was some discussion on it in the Discord here but has been essentially no activity since our last event. I still need to load it in the queue as a project.

Anyways great to have you and if you ever want to grab coffee I’m local in Lisbon as well. Saw you joined the Meetup so you’ll get notified on future Lisbon events. Looking forward to working with you. cheers

• What is your name?
    Richard Lucas

last 31 years in Krakow, Poland, born and grew up in the UK, moved to Lisbon in 2022

I’m an entrepreneur with B2B tech companies, currently about 750 employees, 100 mln Euro revenue.

Community building, opportunities for all independently of background

I’m looking for leaders who can help implement local versions of my global community building initiatives such as:
    Newcomer Welcome Clubs
    Village in the City
    Open Coffee Meetups
    Happy to Chat Benches

1 Like

Hey, my name is Gabriele!

I’m from Lithuania and I live just outside Lisbon.
    I’m a PhD law student exploring data privacy issues in AML, with an emphasis on emerging fintech solutions.
    Creative problem solving, community building
    I’ve been looking for an expat volunteering community with an emphasis on personal development. I’m an aspiring product manager, have worked previously on legal AI automation tool in a startup as product owner. This project seems like match made in heaven which creatively takes on big social issues with tech and community.
1 Like

Welcome Gabriele, excited to have you involved. If you want to browse some of the currently-proposed projects and solutions you can find them here: Problemattic
I’ve recently made it possible for anyone to nominate a problem or project as well so this is all unbounded now and extensible by our participants.

PS. we also have deep-dive podcast episodes with experts on the problems that are listed on our homepage. If any of those issues grab you I recommend listening to its respective interview in advance of the event to get a deeper understanding of the issue and the currently-proposed solutions.

Looking forward to meeting you.

* What is your name?
Darius Pirvulescu

* Where are you from and where do you live now?
From Transylvania, living in Lisbon

* What do you do professionally?
Work as a backend developer at Advicefront. Slowly building my skills and getting involved in awesome projects.

* What types of causes do you value most?
Climate change, mental health, agriculture and food safety

* What brings you here and what do you hope to get by being involved in this project?
Meeting awesome people, contributing to positive projects and strengthening my Lisbon community

1 Like

Hi everyone!

• What is your name?
    My name is João Estudante.

I’m from and live in Azeitão, near Palmela.

I’m currently studying programming in 42Lisbon.

Human and educational causes, that open the eyes and minds of people.

I hope to help and gain experience in finding solucions to problems, i really like the idea behind Problemattic and hope to help in making a difference.

@JoaoEstudante & @Darius great to have you both. Looking forward to meeting you at the Oct 15th event.

What is your name?
Daniel Cacho.

I’m from Portugal, and I live in the surroundings of Sesimbra.

I’m currently studying programming and coding, at 42 Lisboa.

I mostly value Humans and nature well being, as the balance between them.

What brings you here and what do you hope to get by being involved in this project?
I hope to learn more about the possible ways to tackle the various challenges. I also look forward to developt problem solving and team work skills, as to get a better technical understanding on professional areas I’m not familiar with.

1 Like
    • What is your name?
      Brian Tam
      New York – Lisbon – with the past 14 years in Shanghai, China
      Strategy consulting for startup founders, training and facilitating creative workshops
      Human to human connection
      Curiosity! I love the energy of new ideas and the creativity that’s generated in hackathons like this :slight_smile:
1 Like
  • What is your name?
    Israel Oriente.
    I am from Brazil, now in Lisbon - PT.
    I’m Freelancer / Entrepreneur with Web / Mobile dev.
    Human interaction with the advance of technology
    I hope to contribute my opinions and, of course, receive many discussions to gain more knowledge.
1 Like
  • What is your name?
    Ariel Cerda (or Ariel Pérez in Portugal)

I’m from Chile, now in Lisbon

I’m a master’s student and also work remotely

Creative and effective solutions to socials problems

I have experience in the public sector in Chile and also a lot of energy to work in social projects

1 Like

Hi everyone!

What is your name?
Joana Botto

I’m from and live in Lisbon

I’m a beekeeper

Mental health and Climate change

Contributing to positive projects and developing teamwork skills

1 Like
  • What is your name?
    My name is Maura

Originally I am from Boston, MA, but I grew up moving between the Northeastern US & Silicon Valley. Now I live in Phoenix, AZ.

I am the President of a non-profit that provides professional consulting services to non-profit organizations in Arizona free of charge. Calling me a professional do-gooder would be extremely accurate.

I have never really found my “cause”. I ended up be extremely over educated with a fairly wide skill set & I have always felt like my role in te do-gooder world was to be the practical brain behind all the heart. My jobs/consulting contracts usually revolve around creating structure & systems so that the people with all the heart are empowered to do the part they are good at & don’t get bogged down in the paperwork.

I really have no idea. I learned about Problemattic through a friend of a member & thought it sounded interesting & as something outside my usual circles, maybe I lean something that makes me a better do-gooder.

1 Like